MANUELA

Many moons ago...longer than I can remember...I do remember a pair of red shoes my older sister received on the eve of her induction into the National Honor Society. My parents took her shopping in the big city, miles from the Air Force Base where we lived in Hahn Germany. The red and cream colored dress that matched her shiny red shoes made her look all grown up and glamorous...especially when she slid on her pantyhose...Now that was something...sheer, silky stockings...What more could a girl ask for?! I envied her-she looked so pretty and perfect and those red shoes-strappy and sexy-they were simply amazing! I remember looking far and wide for the same shoes or look alikes...or anything at all that came close...But nothing can replace the real thing!

I often wonder why I still think about those shoes...and why they left such an indelible imprint on me. I know they were especially stunning and exceptionally special ....because they were like ruby jewels anointing the tiara that crowned my sister's great accomplishment...The stunning reward for her hard earned grades...the straight A's that made my mom and dad so proud.

It's funny today-I would bet my house-that she would not be caught dead in those red shoes...or anything close...High heels and dressy dresses are no longer part of her repertoir...and pantyhose...well...that's just too laughable to even consider...She's all grown up...and she's grown accustomed to who she is and the successes she has earned the old fashioned way...That will never change...because within the gift of her life she has been given a keen intellect and a savvy business sense that has earned her countless accolades over the years.

But on this day, as I ponder the celebration of her 53 years of life...most of them lived in sunny California...another reason for me to envy her...I feel proud to have watched the evolution of her spirit...the lifting of her life...to the level of goodness that generates true greatness in this life and in the next...and I know, that one day, when she moves it up a notch...to the next realm...those shiny red shoes will be glistening like ruby's in the sky...heralding a jewel of a life well lived...generously giving, soulfully serene and patiently persevering...in good times and in bad.

And so I know-beyond a doubt...I am blessed to call her my OLDER and smarter sister!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ELA!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SUBLIME AUDACITY!

OUR LADY OF JOY, HANCEVILLE ALABAMA

HRUSHIV UKRAINE: APPARITIONS OF THE BLESSED MOTHER