HOLY EUCHARIST

I had a rough night.
Not a fun rough night...just no sleep, weird dreams and a heavy heart.

I rolled out of bed late...Jumped into my clothes-stained and disheveled and flew to morning Mass just in time for communion. My folded hands were strategically placed in front of the spot on my shorts...as if anyone really cared. I mean really-who is walking down the aisle and worrying whether or not the other people are presentable enough to be in morning Mass, much less, receive communion? Who is haughty enough to raise their eyebrows in the presence of the humble God? Actually, lots of people I know--but here's the thing...That's their issue not mine. I'm learning-to not let what other people think, say or do-get in the way of what I know I need to do.

But, for a split second this morning, my mind let me think that I didn't need the Eucharist today. That somehow, I-on my own accord--little ole me who has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt, that she needs her higher power in a big way...thought I could get through this rough patch-all by my lonesome. If it weren't so serious-it would be laughable!

Nope-I got the message loud and clear this weekend at the Holy Spirit Novena-to immerse myself in him. To bathe my being in the power and glory of one who has suffered more than I will ever understand, but who rose to the challenge with the grace and goodness of a God that has more to give us than we can ever imagine. Yup-that's as simple and powerful as it gets...knowing that God is giving us everything we need exactly when we need it-if we just give him our heartfelt attention.

I know a lot of people take the Eucharist for granted...it's a Sunday thing...or a happy holiday feast...But I've done enough interviews and stories around the world to know that it changes lives for the better. It is the physical manifestation of the single most powerful gift that we have ever received to guide and protect us through our daily struggles...because it is the embodiment of the living, breathing, spirit of God.

So why on God's green earth would I deny myself the spiritual energy I so desperately need at this time...and all the time?! I am so glad I dragged myself out of bed...and made it to Mass...because it has taken me more than two decades to really understand...that the discipline of doting on God every single day puts me in the pivotal position of plowing through life's challenges with a perfectly anointed power that cannot be matched.

Comments

It's hard to explain to non-Catholics or even to nominal Catholics the infinite value of receiving this sacrament worthily, for the Holy Eucharist is the body, blood, soul, and divinity of Jesus Christ, the very source of life. It is the greatest treasure of the Church and when we receive it worthily, it transforms us to become better Christians.

Popular posts from this blog

SUBLIME AUDACITY!

OUR LADY OF JOY, HANCEVILLE ALABAMA

HRUSHIV UKRAINE: APPARITIONS OF THE BLESSED MOTHER