WIFFLE TENNIS

My driveway has become a wiffle tennis court...

Never heard of it? Me neither-not until Zack and Jake became pros.

It's not tennis and it's not paddle ball...but somehow...it's the game du jour for my kids and their classmates at Christian Brothers School in City Park. In fact, sometimes I can't get them to get into the car when I arrive to pick them up because they're so caught up in the game. Who would have thought that a simple brightly colored plastic paddle with holes...and a plastic ball with holes...could keep them occupied for hours? What an unexpected gift!

After searching high and low...we ordered the paddles through a magazine...and they finally arrived today...right in time for the sunshine of early Spring...and one week after exams...which thank the Lord-went a-ok.

I smiled as I fixed them dinner, watching these little lads play to victory, outside- away from the video games and the TV-the computer and all the mechanical trappings that turn our kids into couch potatoes.

And I felt grateful for their innocent fun...the frolicking and fanfare over the remake of a timeless game that always gets high marks in my book- because it keeps their legs moving, their minds active and their free spirited natures outside -with nature, doing what kids naturally do best-play.

I am learning to Love that word more and more-PLAY...simple, satisfying and oh so much old fashioned fun!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OUR LADY OF JOY, HANCEVILLE ALABAMA

HRUSHIV UKRAINE: APPARITIONS OF THE BLESSED MOTHER

CONFESSIONS OF FATHER JOE BENSON