TEMPERANCE!

     If you think your kids aren't thinking-believe me-they are. 

     My 10 year old son Zachary sat down next to me last night, showed me his vocabulary list and said, "Look at this word." 'Temperance...a collective effort to stop people from drinking alcohol altogether.' Puzzled I asked him, "Does it really mean that?" "Yes," he replied. Retrieving his history book, he pointed to the bold print-TEMPERANCE. As I read further, the paragraph described the serious problem of alcoholism in the 1800's...which led to increased crime, family problems and mental illness. "Wow! I had no idea!" I exclaimed.  Zachary replied matter of factly, "They should get rid of all alcohol...it does cause a lot of problems for people." His serious tone touched me. His youthful wisdom inspired me. 

    My kids miss very little...maybe because some lessons hit home. They've watched me-their mom- move through recovery --a journey in which they have become willing participants. We talk openly and honestly about the devastating impact of the disease of alcoholism and the remarkable renewal of alcoholics who recover by following some very simple- life changing steps. In our home, there are no secrets about this subject...because we know all too well, the secrets,the silence and the denial will get someone killed.

    My kids have watched others they Love, fall into the seductive snare of addiction...and they understand that nothing good ever comes from a substance that makes you feel good one moment but makes you do insane things the next.

    In our morning drive to school we read aloud from two daily meditation books, 'God Calling' and its counterpart, the AA book, '24 Hours A Day.' It is my hope that my three youngest kids will have a spiritual and intellectual advantage when they face the cunning, baffling and powerful drive to drink that is so prevalent today in our society. I want my kids to be educated about this disease, because for most of my life, I knew absolutely nothing about it...I only envisioned paper bag carrying drunks who lived on the street or under bridges in cities nationwide. I had no idea that this disease does not discriminate against anyone...anywhere or that one day, I would fall victim. 
    
    In fact, 8.1 million people in the U.S. are alcoholic, and professionals estimate 40 percent of the population will have an addiction problem at some point in their lives. The Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Sciences estimates that alcoholism and alcohol abuse in the U.S. costs society from 40 to 60 billion dollars annually in lost production, health and medical care, violent crime, motor vehicle accidents and social programs that deal with alcohol issues. As I ponder those startling facts and my son's history lesson, I am reminded of the insightful wisdom of Philosopher George Santanya who said, "Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it." When it comes to alcoholism, it seems we are not only repeating history...through ignorance, we are participating in the pitfalls of this very progressive, personal and public problem. 

    It is a sobering scenario...with a supernatural solution...that begins with educating ourselves about the disease of addiction, understanding our powerlessness and being open and honest enough to do something about it. The first step of surrender is always the hardest step to take...but when you summon the courage-a whole new world of opportunity unfolds...lives are transformed and the levity of unconditional Love lifts the individual and their loved ones into the humble embrace of a healing power greater than any other known to man. Take it from one who knows--there is a solution, may you find it now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OUR LADY OF JOY, HANCEVILLE ALABAMA

HRUSHIV UKRAINE: APPARITIONS OF THE BLESSED MOTHER

CONFESSIONS OF FATHER JOE BENSON