From Gentile To Jew

We learn something new every day. My kids are part Jewish. I think it's awesome.

They're baptized Catholics with a Jewish bloodline. How rich is that?! I told my oldest son and he immediately wants to see the family tree...my second son wants to know what happened to his bah mitzvah...I want to know why it took so long to find out.

It seems an ingenious Tulane student--a Jewish girl- researched her family tree and traced her way to my sons great grandfather...who is living the good life in the afterlife. I'd heard rumblings over the years that Popsie might be part Jewish, but nothing was set in stone until this curious college kid came a calling. In fact my kids are descendants of the Stern family who founded Longvue House and Gardens in New Orleans right across the canal from my neighborhood. What a great blessing!

It seems we really are interconnected...we really are part of one human family and try as we may to divide ourselves by regions or religions or relatives...we are just a heartbeat and a curious mind away from the unexpected bonus of our human inheritance.

Our collective identity is more than just our cultural calling card...where we're born or who our family is are predominant personal factors... but sometimes surprises abound that enrich our past and our future--with the promise of unexpected rewards.

I've always been fascinated with the rich history of the Jewish people. One of my best friends -a Jewish girl from New York is a generous warm soul, bright and articulate, funny and friendly...and happily spoiled as the cliche goes...When I announced my kids unexpected inheritance --she just laughed-at my joy.

But that's okay, because my Catholic educated boys are going to learn about their Jewish heritage from their German/Irish mom---because Gentile or Jew...they're that important! Understanding ourselves helps us understand one another...helps us bridge the gap that divides...by learning what makes others tick. In the end we discover we're not that different after all...and maybe we're more alike then we ever dreamed of!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SUBLIME AUDACITY!

OUR LADY OF JOY, HANCEVILLE ALABAMA

HRUSHIV UKRAINE: APPARITIONS OF THE BLESSED MOTHER