MOVING, MOVIE MESSAGES

The kids and I have snuggled up on the couch the last couple of of evenings...and watched two, thought provoking and soul inspiring movies.

In "Knowing," the end of the world, predicted fifty years before...and preceded by catastrophic calamities, climaxes with the anointing of two children as the new Adam and Eve...The innocent, accepting quality of the children is juxtaposed against the backdrop of an intellectual, defense driven mentality. In one scene, the doubting Thomas, is reunited with his faith filled family, who accepts their fate of death, because of their belief in a better life, in another dimension.

In "Seven Pounds," the tragic death of the Love of his life, shocks a guilt ridden man, into his senses-and he spends the rest of his days, preparing for his death. He makes amends, by searching for good, yet needy people-whom he can help-by giving them, literally, a piece of himself. In the end, he leaves a living legacy of unconditional Love.

Isn't that really all that matters? Isn't that the lesson that we're here to learn? But, aren't we too often, caught up in the nonsense that is never enough? I needed to see these movies to keep my focus --to be reminded about what is really important and what is not. The movies made me think about how easy it is to morph back into this world...to keep hanging on to the physical things that are supposed to give us pleasure-but which always leave us feeling empty and craving something more. I've worked really hard over the last couple of years, surrendering the nonsense to the serenity that comes with a life founded on authentic, life giving Love. I try daily to stay grounded in that important life lesson.

I had a friend once who never got enough-of anything. She collected cars and antiques, clothes and shoes, houses and property...junk and people...yes people. But nothing satisfied her--not the things, or the relationships or the attention. Not the operations or the makeovers-nothing satisfied her...So she left a swath of destruction wherever she went...discarding and destroying her possessions and her people. She put up a good front, but she never felt fulfilled. I recognize her qualities, because I once possessed many of them. Like the saying goes, "If you spot it you got it!"

I have been thinking a lot about the movies...and about my former friend...and I am once again reminded of the past and the significance of the present...I am eternally grateful...that-these days-I am thinking with clarity, responding with authenticity and letting go of the junk...while storing up the true treasures-then giving them all away.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SUBLIME AUDACITY!

OUR LADY OF JOY, HANCEVILLE ALABAMA

HRUSHIV UKRAINE: APPARITIONS OF THE BLESSED MOTHER