EPHESIANS 6

Sometimes I forget-that sometimes-people are used by a force greater than themselves to say hurtful things...And so I get my feelings hurt.

I was talking about it with a wise woman today...wondering when I will ever learn-to let it roll off my psyche...and she replied, "Ephesians 6"...I said, "I should know better by now." "Ephesians 6," she replied again. "It shouldn't matter so much anymore," I continued. "Ephesians 6," she repeated firmly. Bible scholar that I am-not-I asked, "What is Ephesians 6?" "Put on your armour," she said, "And always stand ready."

I know she's right and that's really the bottom line...because very few people deliberately try to hurt people-just because. Most of the time an ugly, unrelenting force-forces its way in between two people...preying on all the petty problems that put a wedge between them. That force seeks to stir up a messy mindset to keep the home fires burning with deep seated disdain and disapproval...while dividing the individuals even further.

St. Dominic recommended we arm ourselves with prayer, not a sword, humility instead of fine clothes...because the power of God is the greatest weapon against the destructive forces of evil and the self destructive responses to it. Evil always exploits...while God always empowers.

There is a battle raging all around us...every single day...tempting us, taunting us, telling us to act out--by lashing out-against others...to make ourselves feel better. It never works...because in the end, two people are left wounded and wondering what they should do next. Ephesians 6...that's my advice...simple, soul saving scripture-Ephesians 6.

"Put on the armour of God that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil...For we do not wrestle against flesh or blood, but against the principalities, against the powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age..."

As St. Paulinus of Nola said...Our minds govern both soul and body beneath the protection of sacred armor, for the mind which subjects itself to God obtains the armor of salvation. So-go with God and God will go with you-to peaceful victory.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SUBLIME AUDACITY!

OUR LADY OF JOY, HANCEVILLE ALABAMA

HRUSHIV UKRAINE: APPARITIONS OF THE BLESSED MOTHER