Nifty Fifty

I saw the miracle of the sun today. It pulsated with brilliant energy, waves of soft colors flowing outward...pink, orange and green. I smiled. It was as if God had placed the vision right in front of my face where I could not escape seeing it. I was driving my 3 youngest kids to school at 7 a.m. and there it was beaming brightly at me as I maneauvered through the streets...smack dab in front of my face. It warmed my heart. I knew heaven had sent me a Birthday gift...that only I would understand. A boldly beautiful message of love and joy...because on this day 5 decades ago...I entered the human realm...destined for a role that only time would reveal.

That's right today I am an official card carrying member of the AARP. I believe I'm an adult now. Although when I look in the mirror--I still see that California girl staring back at me.... kind of like what I see when I look at Madonna--who turned fifty Saturday. I admire her for her independent thinking...and for being herself...no matter what people may think...and even adding another child to her brew so late in life...now that's really special.


My kids are asking me-so how does it feel? You don't look any different. Although my youngest son Zachary asked me recently--"Hey why don't you get that cream that makes the lines go away?" Someday-I said...then I laughed. The options are out there--it's nice to know...but not today. Honestly, I feel pretty damn good about myself. Better than I felt at forty or forty five...or even last year. Oprah once said the fifties are the most miraculous years of a woman's life...We're at that age where we're figuring out what we really want...learning to care for ourselves instead of taking care of everyone else. We're comfortable in our own skin, which by the way, looks pretty good. We've earned the wear and tear and we're not so quick to hide our badges of courage.


I for one like the way the French women think. They dress how they want, eat what they want and defy the norms for what is considered socially appropriate for aging women. As you can see from my blog picture, I still have long blonde hair--which I've been told would make me look so much better a little shorter--Someday... And I still wear tye dye t -shirts, carry a back pack and have a passion for convertibles. I like to pump up the volume and sing along when my favorite song is playing--much to the embarrassment of my little rug rats. And these days I'll talk to just about anyone-about anything without worrying about what they think about me.


I don't know when it happened or why exactly, but I've turned a corner and it's pretty nifty-being fifty. See --I can even be corny. Seriously though, when you get right down to it...it's pretty great to be alive...to have been blessed with a second and third chance at life...to have wonderful kids and family and friends and to know that the rest of my life may be the best of my life.


The miracle of life...growing up and growing older is a treasure...reinforced by the gifts all around me. Seeing the dancing sun is lagniappe...but it let's me know that God is watching...pleased with my well being...wanting me to be happy at this age and the next...and letting me know that every day is a miracle and a gift ...because as they say... we're not getting older--we're getting better!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Congratulations on your 50th Birthday! I speak from experience, it is like a new door opens on to the second part of our lives -- its freeing and calming and invigorating all at the same time. Best of luck to you!

Popular posts from this blog

SUBLIME AUDACITY!

OUR LADY OF JOY, HANCEVILLE ALABAMA

HRUSHIV UKRAINE: APPARITIONS OF THE BLESSED MOTHER