Big Wigs, Big Friends!

I have a friend, Dave, who's a big wig with a division of the Fox News Network in New York City...That's right-he plays with the big guys and gals that you invite into your living rooms, or kitchens or bathrooms or wherever you allow your tv's and computers to be plugged in...

In the early days, as a young buck-breaking into the news business, my dream-my intention-was to wind up like Dave, in New York as a war correspondent or anchor or one of the many shining stars that shine the light on world events that often change the course of our lives. But, as it turns out- that was not the career course that destiny had designed for me...I got derailed by a spiritual epiphany that zapped me into submission- sending me on a spiritual journey that spiraled me out of tv news and sent me into a tv mission- that kept me smack dab in good ole New Orleans! Go figure-best laid plans and all that stuff. I will say however, I did travel the world from Siberia to Japan to Nicaragua to Cuba etc...producing documentaries like I had dreamed about doing in New York. Sometimes we get what we want, just in another format.

Dave, on the other hand has moved up the ladder of secular success, from photographer, to assignment editor, to news director to jack of all trades and is now the Director of the Fox News Edge. I visited him once in New York and was quite impressed- that nice guys do finish first...The hustle and bustle of his surroundings felt like home and I could tell that this Wisconsin boy was respected and revered for his honesty, down home talent and old fashioned values...Yeah sometimes he blows his stack-but who doesn't?!


Dave reads me pretty well-and now he's reading my blog. He sent me the warmest letter of support this week that touched me to the core...mainly because I know him...and I know how hard it is for him to get inside and share those warm and fuzzy feelings..and also, how very difficult it must have been for him to sit down and type such a lengthy note. Now that's a true friend! Go Dave!


I'll never forget one of our last assignments together more than 23 years ago. We were sent to the chemical corridors of Louisiana to film a series on the families whose homes and towns were next to chemical plants. Babies were being born with physical deformities and mom's and dad's were dying of cancer. I looked like Big Bird, wobbling around 8 months pregnant...determined to capture evidence that would save these people from their untimely deaths and hold someone accountable. We interviewed the victims and state officials...and anyone we could find who would tell us why we were allowing these people to be killed right in our backyards. After the series Dave said the nicest thing...told me I had the stuff of the Networks...that I was Network material. Maybe not a big deal to most of you--but to me, those words were like music to my ears...and even though Dave doesn't know it-- the melody has romanced me through many difficult assignments when I felt insecure and worried that I might sound stupid, or silly or like a bubble headed blonde.

When I think about it, it's amazing how some people are put into our lives and leave such an indellible imprint that neither time, nor distance, nor dumb disagreements can ever divide us completely...Their personal imprint stays with us and carries us through life- secure in the knowledge that someone cares, that somewhere out there across the horizons-there's one soul who is squarely in our corner, who understands us, who is willing to wait on us when the going gets rough-until we can find ourselves and our way back to them and the eternal friendships that have been forged.

Dave is one of those rare friends. He's a big wig, with a big heart and a budding ability to let down his guard just long enough to make someone-like me-feel good about themselves. Now in the vast landscape that we call humanity-that's phenomenal! As my kids would say-Dave-you rock!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SUBLIME AUDACITY!

OUR LADY OF JOY, HANCEVILLE ALABAMA

HRUSHIV UKRAINE: APPARITIONS OF THE BLESSED MOTHER