Medjugorje-My Miracle

"God wants you to do this story." I said, "God who?" Many moons ago-1986, my girlfriend Penny Lentini, followed her conscience and handed me a heavenly assignment that would forever alter the course of my life. Several weeks later, I flew on the wings of hope half way around the world-in hopes of winning an Emmy, a pay raise and a promotion to the Network News- in New York City.

I landed in a tiny mountain village in Medjugorje Bosnia, where miracles were making modern men and women into old fashioned people of faith. Sure there have been-physical and emotional healings...but the spiritual healings-now that was something to be reckoned with. I for one-had stopped going to church regularly...In fact, my firstborn could practically stroll down the aisle at his Baptism. I'd lost interest in organized religion and I was too busy with the religion of power, money and self indulgence. It is no wonder that a power greater than me, lay in waiting, until exactly the right time, exactly the right circumstances, to gather me into the fold with the only thing that would get my attention...the fireworks of faith!

The miracle of the sun, rosaries turning to gold, children speaking with an emissary from heaven--this was sensational stuff! And for some unknown reason--my co anchor and I had landed the story. We were the first American news team to travel half way around the world to interview the visionaries and to report on the longest running apparition in the history of the Catholic Church. I really didn't care if it was real or not--I really just wanted to get there-get my story-get home and get myself an Emmy that would get me one of those coveted Network News jobs. I got something entirely different-I got zapped. That's right the old lightening strike.

Amid all the self serving ideals, the quest for personal gain...I got my groove back--I got God...I really got him. I understood the essence of this supernatural power ---the universal love, the affirmation, the healing, the friend that is always there...the guiding spirit and the refuge...And even though I miscarried a baby while I was there, I carried away with me- a spiritual awakening and a deep understanding, that my life, as I had known it-would never be quite the same.

That was 22 years ago...more than two decades have passed and there have been ups and downs, highs and lows, successes and failures--but through it all my God has always been there-cradling me, caressing me and gently calling me to reach a little higher, to try a little harder, to love a little stronger and to believe a little longer. To hang on, when I want to let go, because this may be my moment for a miracle.

Many moons ago-Penny told me that God wanted me to do this story--while I didn't believe her at the time, I know now that she was right. But it's not just my story-it's a story with a message for the whole world...a message that God exists, that God loves us completely and that God has a plan for each and every one of us--a plan that will be outlined if we just ask for guidance...if we simply learn to speak with the spirit that swirls within each and every one of us with the most sensational, soul inspiring recipe for peace and fulfillment--that you will ever encounter!

Medjugorje was my miracle-and now, may it be my gift to you!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Fantastic blog....very inspiring for this Afghan Vet!!!

Popular posts from this blog

SUBLIME AUDACITY!

OUR LADY OF JOY, HANCEVILLE ALABAMA

HRUSHIV UKRAINE: APPARITIONS OF THE BLESSED MOTHER