Mother Teresa


"I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish He didn't trust me so much."
-Mother Teresa


I don't know about you...but that's exactly how I feel...especially these days. Sometimes the pendulum of life seems to swing in one direction-disorder. Doesn't seem to matter how hard we try--disaster strikes. But what can you do--except stay determined-stay focused-and believe that God will not give you anything you can't handle.


When I feel the weight of the world on my shoulders...I think about Mother Teresa...and all she accomplished and overcame with her steadfast determination and her deep rooted faith. Several years back I conducted a short tv interview with Mother Teresa at her Rome headquarters. People asked-did you feel like you were in the presence of a Saint? Were you awestruck? No and no. In fact, I remember thinking how normal she was...how she lived and breathed her beliefs....she put one foot in front of the other every single day...and never gave up...even when she was tired or heartbroken or disillusioned with man's inhumanity. She knew God was with her, every step of the way. Her simple faith and courageous honesty sent a wave of enlightenment throughout every corner of the world...inspiring men and women to move mountains when everything around them seemed to be crumbling. She made us believe in ourselves and in each other-because if this little old nun could make a difference, so could we.


Mother Teresa continues to be a spiritual icon...long after her passing...She lived life's lessons with a purity of heart and a sanctifying soul. She was once asked how she could eat a meal in the midst of all the starving people. Apparently she said- if she did not take care of herself, she would not be able to take care of those in need. Simple wisdom rooted in a spiritual foundation- to value one's own life as a gift that God designed-so that we can carry out his destiny for us.


I believe it was an act of grace that awakened Mother Teresa to accept the challenges God gave her....even when the burden seemed too great. I believe it is also an act of grace that guides us through our individual challenges when life seems too hard to handle...And so even during these difficult days ...it's important for me to accept- deep within, my heart and soul, that God won't give me anything I can't handle...but-like Mother Teresa, sometimes-like right now- I really wish he didn't trust me so much!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SUBLIME AUDACITY!

OUR LADY OF JOY, HANCEVILLE ALABAMA

HRUSHIV UKRAINE: APPARITIONS OF THE BLESSED MOTHER