BROTHERLY LOVE

We sat in the lobby tonight, waiting for Benjamin to come out. Jacob played on his ipod...Zachary and I played around-tickling and laughing, until he fell asleep on the couch. I watched the people slumped in their chairs in the waiting room...Waiting on someone or something...It was 9:00pm and I wondered who they were and what had brought them here.

I always feel mixed emotions when I go to this hospital...Seeing the tired, haggard faces full of fear and confusion makes me sad. There is so much pain in the world, it is a wonder these rooms aren't bulging with patients and people.

Yesterday, Zack and Jake and I joined Ben and his counselor behind the locked doors for a family session. The tears flowed as the kids let down their guard and admitted their fears and their pain. Ben sat between them, his arms wrapped around their shoulders in support and solidarity and brotherly strength.

I Loved seeing their expression of Love for one another...and their obvious admiration and concern. I know this kind of loyalty and unity makes all the difference in the world to Ben's recovery. I know too, they are bonding in a way that most brothers never do...That's the gift of adversity...It makes weak individuals stronger and ordinary families, extraordinary.

Sometimes the worst situations bring about the best results...When we rise to the occasion, put forth our best effort...and believe in one another-we can move mountains and make miracles happen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SUBLIME AUDACITY!

OUR LADY OF JOY, HANCEVILLE ALABAMA

HRUSHIV UKRAINE: APPARITIONS OF THE BLESSED MOTHER