WOMEN IN RECOVERY

I arrived a little early and sat down next to a young woman cradling her three week old baby girl. She said her infants dad is in jail...facing a long prison term for dealing drugs and stealing other people's possessions. She told me she loves him, but she won't go back to him unless he gets clean-for good.

This young woman is also trying to clean up her act...to give up drinking and drugs and the things that people do to get their next fix...She is an addict...in recovery...living in a half way house with other women and their children...women like her who have left behind a life of hell--because their lives and their children's lives depend on it.

I accepted an invitation to speak to these women...about recovery...rehabilitation and re-directing their lives...Sharing my story, I shared a piece of the puzzle that is so confusing to people in early recovery...Making peace with their disease, is the first step toward healing their broken lives.

The women shared their stories and their feelings...amid the sounds of toddlers playing in the background. One woman relapsed a few days ago -after being clean-five months...Staring at the ground she said, "I feel so ashamed...because I really don't know why I did it."

Cunning, baffling and powerful...sometimes there is no plausible explanation--But with time and steadfast determination--she will learn the early warning signs... and if she stays vigilant-she will overcome--the obsession and the compulsion-to get high-on the one thing that could eventually-kill her.

Looking at these women, I saw fear and desperate hope in their eyes...a wanting -to be better than this...to believe that they had been destined for something greater than drug addiction...And I reassured them...that they were in fact-special-in my eyes and in the eyes of God. I wanted them to know, they have what it takes to lead healthy, productive lives...to live their dreams...to see their children grow up.

Half the battle is believing in themselves...believing in their own self worth...ridding themselves of the fear and the feelings of failure that are weighing them down. The other half of the battle-is arming themselves with a power greater than themselves...Surrendering their will and their lives to the God of their understanding...putting their faith-front and center.

I'm hoping my passion for the program-left a positive imprint...I'm praying that something I said-will make a difference. Some of them told me I gave them courage-to face tomorrow...with hope for the future...

One day at a time...one encouraging word a day...one hand to hold on to-one heart that truly cares. A little Love goes a long way--and sometimes, if we give it away-with honesty and sincerity...it can even save a life.

Comments

Anonymous said…
God bless you for sharing your heart with the women in that group. I pray that they will receive the good news that you shared with them, and that they will soon find the answers, and peace, that they seek. Thank you for sharing what you have with those that were in need of it.

Popular posts from this blog

SUBLIME AUDACITY!

OUR LADY OF JOY, HANCEVILLE ALABAMA

HRUSHIV UKRAINE: APPARITIONS OF THE BLESSED MOTHER