RUGBY!

RUGBY. Every parent's personal nightmare.

They bite, they kick, they push and they jump on top of each other. They also get away with it. It's an acceptable ritual among the tough guys. Go figure!

I thought football was rough. A few years ago, I was glad when my eldest son quit High School football. But then he joined the rugby team and I faced a whole new set of fears. Now my third son has traded the football for the rugby ball and the nervous breakdown begins anew.

I find myself yearning for the great American sport. I miss the helmets and the knee pads and the mouth guards and the rules.

My how things change! Now football has never been my thing-unless one of my sons played. My dad was a crazy fan just like most American men. But my German mom thought the game was nuts. I can still hear her chanting, "Those crazy Americans running around a big field throwing a ball and knocking each other down. And people watch them and holler?!"

I have to admit, to an alien, the game probably looks ridiculous and makes the civilized look silly. But, I have been prone to screaming at the top of my lungs when my sons have run a pass or dragged some kid into the ground. In fact, my children have calmly asked me to calm down -because I'm embarrassing them. Can you imagine? And I find I'm really excited-and hopeful...about my fifth son, 10 year old Zachary who's a natural running back and loves the game.

But this game of rugby-it scares me. No helmets, no shin guards, no padding...only one defenseless mouth piece to protect that perfectly, precious set of teeth. I don't get it. It makes no sense. Kind of like driving a motorcycle...one helmet to protect an entire human body.

Oh well. I watched my son play last night and he ran his derriere all over the field without one mishap. Thank God! Last night, when I checked on him in his room he was fast asleep, tucked away under tons of covers with his stocking cap crowning his head. I smiled.

I guess that's the good news...he was worn out...but healthy-no broken limbs or cracked teeth...and he was happy, probably dreaming of his next victory game...and my next nightmare!

This too shall pass!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SUBLIME AUDACITY!

OUR LADY OF JOY, HANCEVILLE ALABAMA

HRUSHIV UKRAINE: APPARITIONS OF THE BLESSED MOTHER