FAMOUSLY INFAMOUS!

The cashier at the grocery said, "I knew it was you even before I saw the name on the check. We have someone famous here!" Then later, a woman I met from Poland, knew my entire TV history. She was glad she ran into me, because she couldn't figure out where I'd gone. I smiled.

It's been two years since I've worked in television...but I guess my 25 year career has left an impression. I will say-I've enjoyed the "feeling" of anonymity...of not being recognized at every turn, or watched and prodded at every event. There's something nice about melting into the scenery-or at least thinking you can. I attended a spiritual conference a couple of weeks ago, and hard as I tried to stay in the background-I kept getting pushed into the foreground.
Once a star always a star--albeit-sometimes rising, sometimes falling.

I remember two decades ago, when I left the secular news media for a TV job in the spiritual realm, I worried about losing my identity. So much of who I'd become was wrapped up in being on television. My ego thrived on the accolades and the attention and the mesmerizing banter from adoring fans. But the longer I stayed away from the lure of the attention...and the more I concentrated on the Love of God...the less I cared about whether or not people recognized me or not.

These days TV seems like a world away-I'm more concerned with the other full time job I took on 24 years ago-being a mom. Quite unexpectedly because of circumstances, that's been my starring role...the one I'd worked behind the scenes, but which now has taken center stage. I've come to realize what the old timers probably knew all along...Mommy duty is the best job you can ever ask for...and the accolades from the kids...the smiles and the motherly adoration...is the most fulfilling, fun filled career choice-anyone could hope for.

God gave me a temporary reprieve from the hustle and the bustle of the outside world-to take care of the inside job--his amazing creation...And while I know-this too shall pass-and the next television drama will unfold, I am grateful to be gifted with a deeper awareness and a clearer understanding of the importance of molding and shaping the lives that have been entrusted to me...behind the scenes, where the real life action happens.

And it's funny--when people say they miss me or they ask where I've been-my simple answer-"Caring for my five sons" seems to be more impressive to them, than anything I've ever accomplished in front of the camera. And quite frankly, these days-I finally feel the same way!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SUBLIME AUDACITY!

OUR LADY OF JOY, HANCEVILLE ALABAMA

HRUSHIV UKRAINE: APPARITIONS OF THE BLESSED MOTHER