JUST PRAY!

PRAY, PRAY, PRAY!
Our Lady of Medjugorje

As I exited morning Mass an old friend grabbed me and asked if I had a child at Jesuit H.S. "Yes-a very sick child," I replied. "Then come with me-the mom's rosary is about to start in the school chapel."

The Jesuit mom's began praying the rosary 13 years ago...firmly believing that the power of prayer would heal the hearts of the young adolescent boys who may be considering suicide. They say the prayers are working wonders, since there have been no suicides among the students, since the prayer group began. Today, two of the mother's shared the difficult ordeal of their son's long battles with depression and the suicidal thoughts that often accompany the feelings of hopelessness...and despair...And they said they have drawn incredible strength and comfort in the weekly prayer sessions that are healing their son's hopeless hearts.

We prayed the Luminous mysteries...which illuminate the purpose and meaning of the many sufferings in our lives. I tried to read my part-but the river of tears began flowing as I grieved the deep pain that my son Ben is living with-every single moment of every single day.

Two nights ago-Ben sobbed uncontrollably on the phone-as he talked about how homesick and alone he feels in the hospital. He says he believes he can't do this without me at his side...But I told him he can...and I assured him-he is not alone. I am carrying him with me in my heart...and God is carrying him in the palm of his hand.

I reinforced how honestly courageous he has been to admit he needs hospitalization to help fight the ugly disease of Anorexia. We talked about finding his personal power...that deep reservoir of strength that is often buried below the mountain of painful emotions that have weighed us down. I tried to pass on to him, my experience, strength and hope...the gifts of my own recovery. Sharing how hard it is to face our feelings, when our feelings cause us fear and pain and the external anger. I urged him to face those feelings anyway...because sometimes the fear of the feeling is greater than the actual feeling...which left unresolved-is keeping us imprisoned inside the walls of our pain. As we face the pain, it loses its power over us...slowly, but surely--and a more powerful, peaceful feeling of hope emerges...permeating every inch of our being..giving us a new lease on a very long and Loving life.

Ben has the God given power within to beat this disease on his own-and so I will continue praying for his continued strength and surrender-and for the humility to accept the guidance of the doctors and nurses and therapists who are so desperately trying to give him the tools to take back his life...Because let's face it...There is no one who could do it better than Ben...and no life worth living more-than his!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OUR LADY OF JOY, HANCEVILLE ALABAMA

HRUSHIV UKRAINE: APPARITIONS OF THE BLESSED MOTHER

CONFESSIONS OF FATHER JOE BENSON