HAPPY BIRTHDAY UNCLE ROBERT!

I sat here trying to think of what I could possibly say on my brother's birthday to honor how I really feel about him. He is by far, one of the most Loving and compassionate men I have ever been blessed to know...To be related is divine lagniappe!

As the years have passed, I have watched him evolve into a truly gifted human being-whose true strength rests in his quiet unassuming desire to give to those truly in need. But you will never know what he has done, or is doing or is planning to do...Because he never utters a word, never seeks recognition and never lets on that he is behind the good deeds that somehow flow our way.

The greatest gift he has given to me recently-is the example he has set for my five sons. Calling them, coaching them, cultivating a common respect among them...Giving them a sense of self worth and solid footing when they find themselves faltering or fumbling or feeling like failures. "Uncle Robert" tells them-and best of all-shows them-that they are worth the time and the energy and yes-even the money...They are worth whatever it takes to help them become the best possible version of themselves. That's quite gift-coming from a single guy!

A career Army officer, Robert has spent more than his share of his life, selflessly securing our safety here at home, by spending months on end in faraway lands where war and peace have been co-existing for decades. On more than one occasion he has faced death...but forged ahead anyway-because that's what good soldierS do. I don't think I will ever fully comprehend how hard those sacrifices have been for him...because he never complains. He believes it is his duty...and I believe it is his calling.

Growing up in the center of three sisters was probably the toughest challenge..and likely toughened him up...or at the very least-taught him that "this too shall pass." Moving around so much, he had very little privacy and a whole lot of hormonal hemorraghing to haunt him as we played endless tricks on him-just because- that's what siblings do. I know it wasn't funny then, but that must be why he has such a dry-but witty sense of humor.

I am so grateful to have my brother in my life and in the lives of my children. I am grateful for all the sacrifices he has made for us, for our country and for those abroad...and I am honored to have watched him grow and prosper in all the ways that God has planned for him. He is a true "officer and a gentleman"-and as the kids lovingly say-amazingly AWESOME!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY UNCLE ROBERT! WE LOVE YOU!
+
Johnny, Mackie, Ben, Jake, Zack and MLM
+ + + + + +

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OUR LADY OF JOY, HANCEVILLE ALABAMA

HRUSHIV UKRAINE: APPARITIONS OF THE BLESSED MOTHER

CONFESSIONS OF FATHER JOE BENSON