Talking About God

They talk alot about God in AA.
Sometimes-I smile.
Sometimes-I roll my eyes.
And sometimes-I think "What?!"

But-then I catch myself...because anytime anyone is talking about God-that's good...really good.
Some of these people never even thought about a higher power-before they entered recovery...and some of those who already have faith--need to kick it up to the next level. Addiction seems to be the one disease that is pre- destined to teach people about the power of God...and how a faith in a higher power-can save lives.

There's something about actively choosing to surrender to God instead of a substance-- that gives a person the courage to take back possession of their sanity...from the insanity of addiction.

I've heard story after story after inspiring story...and it never ceases to amaze me-how strongwilled people-can lose utter control--of their lives to a drink or a drug, or shopping or sex or stealing or any number of obssessive, compulsive desires...But then miraculously pull themselves from the clutches of death-and go on to lead healthy, extraordinary lives-one day at a time.

Addiction is a cunning, baffling and powerful disease -designed to destroy its victims and even their loved ones. But talking about God--introducing the possibility of a power greater than themselves-now that's a remedy that is working miracles...in countless lives...in homes and communtities and meeting halls all around the world.

Talking about God-anywhere, anytime-is a good thing...It's the Alpha and the Omega. And I for one-am extremely grateful--to God-for giving me-and so many others the grace to understand his healing power.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OUR LADY OF JOY, HANCEVILLE ALABAMA

HRUSHIV UKRAINE: APPARITIONS OF THE BLESSED MOTHER

CONFESSIONS OF FATHER JOE BENSON