THE STANDARD BEARER


I'm grateful when people listen--and even sometimes -when they overhear.

My son's friend called tonight to tell me,"You are the standard bearer for your children." I paused-wondering if that was a good thing or not. Yesterday, Emile rode up to my house on his bike and overheard a rather emotional conversation outside. He apologized for intruding but wanted to let me know how he repaired his estranged relationship with his parents. Staying calm-even under fire--staying focused--even when things got rocky and learning that self control was his best defense as well as his best offense. Pretty smart guy. And he added, "Don't let your anger get in the way of the ones you Love." Don't I need to hear that--over and over again?!

Now this is a guy who has been tested by fire...schizophrenic, suicidal, bi- polar, recovering addict...and incredibly brilliant. He has struggled to re-gain his sense of himself, his personal purpose and his will to live...and he has done so beautifully. Emile has drafted a proposal to inspire and motivate young people, based on the lessons he has learned inside the classroom and outside...And I believe it will be quite effective.

Tonight he motivated me to wrap my mind around the possibility...that maybe I got a little excited yesterday...maybe what I had been trying to say-got lost in the emotional moments ...and the exasperation that comes when we are worn out...or when we are dealing with more than our share of challenges...or when we girls are going through that time of the month.

But Emile never said one critical word, never pointed his finger. He subtly reminded me to raise the bar...to set a high standard of personal behavior ...because my boys who Love me and look up to me...consider me - the "standard bearer," and because I am capable of "great things."

Being the "standard bearer" is an awesome task for any one of us...a double edged sword...But the gift of responsibility gives us reason to rise to the occasion...to remember what really matters- while relinquishing power and control...yet still remaining in control.

I'm grateful Emile heard me yesterday...and thankful I listened to him tonight...Because- sometimes we need to be reminded that we must rise to the occasion--even when others won't...sometimes-some of us set the standard...so that others can find their way....and sometimes life's lessons are as simple as staying calm, so that others can hear what they need to hear...even when they don't want to listen.

Comments

Anonymous said…
How kind of that young man to point out your mistake in such a kind way instead of keeping his thought to himself. Sometimes we do better not to mind our business.

Popular posts from this blog

OUR LADY OF JOY, HANCEVILLE ALABAMA

HRUSHIV UKRAINE: APPARITIONS OF THE BLESSED MOTHER

CONFESSIONS OF FATHER JOE BENSON