WAKE UP CALL!


The phone rings and wakes me up. It's 5 a.m. "Ok, see you in a few minutes," comes the cheery voice at the other end of the line. Our morning rendezvous sends me stumbling down the hall into the bathroom to slip on my shorts, shirt and tennis shoes. I pull my long hair into a pink baseball cap, stuff some money and my phone into my pocket and out the door I fly into the dark morning. Our nocturnal walks through the neighborhood and around the park have opened up a brave new world for me... bonding with some real life leading ladies-Helene and Sissy. Now Helene is the ring leader. She is the wake up Muse and it was her bright idea this week to rise and shine thirty minutes earlier. "It's cooler," she justifies...Sissy and I agree--besides who has the energy to argue that early in the morning?

As the days have passed, we've morphed into our routine...getting up is a ritual we look forward to-on most days anyway...In the beginning I awoke three or four times a night, worrying about having to get up so early...about not getting enough sleep...I was exhausted before I even got started. But now-I look forward to meeting up with my friends, walking and talking and sharing our lives. Girl talk with girlfriends who are genuinely gifted with wisdom, compassion and true loyalty. We solve all kinds of personal and world issues during our one hour marathon... Dr. Phil could learn a few lessons from us! That's what I really love-the talking and listening-the laughing and sighing...it's some of the greatest free therapy on earth...

There's something about being open and honest with another human being-trusting them with your secret fears and follies, hopes and dreams..that liberates and lifts us to a higher level. For years I ran through life taking care of everyone else, my five sons, the husband, the job the world...but I didn't take care of myself and in the process, I lost myself and I almost died. But now I'm learning to take some real me time, by making real girlfriends who teach me every single day-the real value of human bonding. Through them I experience the healing energy that flows naturally between us as we allow each other into our private worlds. Friendships are a physical manifestation of Love...and Love grows and spreads every time we reach out our hand to another human being. Six days a week Sissy, Helene and I reach out to one another in the wee hours of the morning and in return we receive the energy and the loving friendships-that have helped us to take the rest of life's journeys- in stride.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OUR LADY OF JOY, HANCEVILLE ALABAMA

HRUSHIV UKRAINE: APPARITIONS OF THE BLESSED MOTHER

CONFESSIONS OF FATHER JOE BENSON