LOCKS OF LOVE!

I got scalped today.
15 inches of long blond hair gone, but not forgotten.
My boys snapped pictures as the stylist cut off my golden locks.

My ten year old Zachary watched with dismay...as the scissors cut a jagged edge...and his mom's long mane was reduced to a short chin length bob. "That looks terrible!" he exclaimed. Michael- the man with the shears, raised his eyebrows-"My-how's your ego feeling?!" "That's alright," I replied. "I've had plenty of counseling...It doesn't even sting."

I was actually thrilled to see the long hair go--to a good cause- Locks of Love. The organization that makes wigs out of human hair-for children with cancer. It takes at least 10 inches of healthy hair, held together in a pony tail with a rubber band. What a simple way to give a little piece of ourselves to a sick child. I can't imagine losing my hair...It's always been such a big part of my identity-too big in fact. But, my mom went bald before she died of cancer and two of my friends-who are miracle survivors-lost their locks. Letting go of a little length-was the very least--the absolute least-I could do.

I didn't plan on growing my hair for the cause-I'm not that noble...I morphed into it...As my hair grew and I grew to like the longer length...I thought, what the hey--a few more inches and I'll be able to give a priceless gift to child who is light years ahead of me in the suffering in silence department. Fighting cancer and going bald should not be any child's fate.

So now-my new do-which used to be my old do...is much too short for my signature pony tail...But it must not look too bad. As the hairdresser cleaned up the edges...Zachary...backed into an apology..."I'm not saying this, because of what I said a minute ago, but you look younger...The short hair makes you look younger." That was worth every inch...See there is karma...and I guess I can postpone ordering all those miracle face creams he keeps seeing on TV which he's convinced will remove all my signs of aging. Kids are funny...and worth every hair we lose to them...and every wrinkle we develop.

Tomorrow, I'll place my pony tail in a manila envelope and mail it off to Locks of Love...All the info is on the Internet at http://www.locksoflove.org/ -in case you or your kids are interested in growing the cause!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SUBLIME AUDACITY!

OUR LADY OF JOY, HANCEVILLE ALABAMA

HRUSHIV UKRAINE: APPARITIONS OF THE BLESSED MOTHER