MANUELA "GOD IS WITH US"

My mother was a very strong, German woman. Very strong and very German. She had a steely determination in the face of great adversity and tons of personal struggles.

I am grateful to her for many gifts, not the least of which, is my oldest sister who entered this world on this day 54 years ago. That sounds all grown up...In fact, it sounds much older than she seems...But it is what it is because birthdays are a reality check and a reminder that our lives are maturing into the future beyond our will and our human comprehension, just as God intended.

My sister's name, Manuela, is of Spanish and Hebrew origin and means "God is with us." Isn't that beautiful? "God is with us." There isn't anything more profound. The female version is Emmanuel...But Manuela, suits my sister perfectly. We call her Ela for short and I'm slightly embarrassed to admit, for most of my life, I thought her name was weirder than my own...and I didn't have a clue about its origin.

It is obvious that God was with my mother when she conceived her firstborn, when she brought her baby girl into the world and when she picked this inspiring name.

God has been gifting Ela for as long as I can remember...With a brilliant mind, a boldly confident voice and a generous heart-even in the face of great adversity and tons of personal struggles. Just like our mom.

She has been there for me and my kids, through hell and back...Even when turning her back might have felt much easier. But that's the thing about that German bloodline...and German women...We are born to be strong, born to overcome, taught to right our wrongs and made to believe in the best that a person has to offer, even if it takes great personal sacrifice.

Ela has definitely been God's gift to us... And we pray today in thanskgiving for her life...and for many more years of health, spiritual wealth (and any other wealth her namesake wants to throw in)...Because my sister Manuela has always been a constant reminder to me, that God truly, is with us!

Happy Birthday Ela!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OUR LADY OF JOY, HANCEVILLE ALABAMA

HRUSHIV UKRAINE: APPARITIONS OF THE BLESSED MOTHER

CONFESSIONS OF FATHER JOE BENSON