BRUCE AND KAREN

My friend Karen is an amazing woman. For the last eight years she has spent nearly every day caring for her husband Bruce, inside his hospital room. An accident left Bruce neurologically impaired, requiring him to be under 24 hour medical care which includes feeding and oxygen tubes.

I did not know Bruce before the accident and I only met Karen a few months ago. I honestly never suspected, how much she had suffered, because she carries her cross with such dignity and grace. When you meet Karen, you don't see her heartache. She's always smiling, even though I know she often cries, she is soulfully cheerful, even though she sometimes feels despondent, and she never loses her faith in God, even though there are times when she feels all alone. Karen radiates the power of a higher power-without even trying.

I met Bruce for the first time today, which is the eight year anniversary of his accident. Karen and I and our prayer warrior friends, gathered around his bed for a special healing rosary. As we bowed our heads in prayer, I could feel the gift of Bruce's life in the presence of his spirit-which transcended his frailty.

I understood that God had a plan for Bruce, far greater than my human comprehension...And I knew, beyond a doubt, that Bruce's life...laying in a hospital bed, unable to communicate, had divine value-here on earth. I watched the Love between husband and wife, wrapped in the heart of God and pulsating through the gift of the Cross.

I went to be with my friend today, to support her and to show her how much I care. I walked away knowing God wanted me there-to teach me some valuable lessons about extraordinary courage, hopeful perseverance and the beauty of unconditional, life giving Love.

I will carry those lessons and the image of Bruce with me, as I struggle through the daily challenges, that now...seem so petty. Bruce and Karen have left an indelible imprint on the way I feel...about life and marriage and the commitments we make, 'til death do we part.

When you think about it, please pray for Bruce, for Karen...and for their two children...And while you're at it, go ahead and ask God for a miracle...Because, sometimes when we believe...miracles really do happen!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SUBLIME AUDACITY!

OUR LADY OF JOY, HANCEVILLE ALABAMA

HRUSHIV UKRAINE: APPARITIONS OF THE BLESSED MOTHER