CONFESSIONS OF FATHER JOE BENSON

As we sat in silence, meditating...I nudged my friend Terri, "What do we have to complain about?!" I whispered. There he hung, pain stricken, vulnerable in his nakedness, sharp thorns cutting into his head, pleading eyes fixed on the heavens. What I thought, on God's green earth, do I have to complain about?!

That's probably why they do it...place the life like crucifix dead center-above the altar, just above the Blessed Sacrament, right where you can't miss it...just to remind us-things could be worse, but they're destined to get better-if we keep our eyes focused-on the solution.

Another friend-likes to remind me-he's not on the cross anymore...So why do we keep him there? Every one's got an opinion, but to tell you the truth, I need to be reminded of the sacrifice...and every painful moment in between. Puts my problems in perspective...helps me see clearly...gives me strength to proceed.

We went to first Friday adoration in the upper ninth ward...at my new favorite prayer haven, Blessed Francis Seelos Church...The pastor, Fr. Joe Benson, heard confessions. Honestly-that drove me there...Face to face absolution from this gifted priest, who somehow sees straight into your soul, and says exactly what you need to hear.

Looking me in the eyes he asked, "Why do you doubt yourself?" I fumbled with my answer, but he didn't buy it...So he asked again, "Why do you doubt yourself?" It's a great question.

Why do we doubt ourselves when we have all the Love and support, all the strength and security, all the confidence and the courage we need-from the God who became man-to show us his unconditional Love and forgiveness, by dying in pain so we could have an eternity of peace, with the prince of peace?!

Disease or divorce, disappointments or disasters, stuff happens-to everyone-sometimes repeatedly...How we respond is our decision. How we are changed is our greatest challenge.

Fr. Benson very gently reminded me of God's confidence in me, while urging me to reciprocate by being still, immersing myself in his gentle power and placing my trust in his guiding grace....He suggested I spend time with the divine, inside the chapel...wrapped in his heavenly embrace...Because when we open our hearts in prayer, God takes the lead, making our prayers complete. And believe it or not, it doesn't seem to matter what's going on in our lives, before we know it, in the midst of our trials, we begin radiating an infectious Love, joy and peace.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Mary Lou! I loved reading your comments about Fr. Joe. I have had so many moments of grace with him!

much love to you, sister,

Connie Cleveland Lenneman

Popular posts from this blog

SUBLIME AUDACITY!

OUR LADY OF JOY, HANCEVILLE ALABAMA

HRUSHIV UKRAINE: APPARITIONS OF THE BLESSED MOTHER