TRAINING WITH ZACK!

My baby boy Zachary (don't tell him I said that) came to me a couple of weeks ago worried that he was out of shape. He leaves for football camp on the fifth and a summer of being a couch potato has taken its toll. "No problem!" I replied, I'll train you!" So every morning for the last two weeks he's been rolling out of bed at 6a.m. slipping on his tennis shoes and running with me in the park.

I'm really not a runner-I'm a speed walker and not as speedy as I used to be. But for the first couple of days Zack was having a hard time keeping up with me. We would jog one lap and walk two..My eleven year old dynamo complained how hard it was, how sore his legs were and how much he disliked running. That was short lived--because now he's leaving me in the dust-which the other pedestrians are eager to point out!

One morning Zack told me he needed ear phones so he could listen to music on his ipod. I told him he needed to leave his ipod at home with all the other gizmo's and commune with God-and with me. It's been nice-sharing some soulful bonding and some pretty insightful conversations while getting in tip top physical shape.

Friday as we walked up the steps into the house Zack said, "Thanks mom" which of course melted my heart. It really is the little things we do, that mean so much to kids and to moms like me who are still learning the true value of what real parenting is all about.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OUR LADY OF JOY, HANCEVILLE ALABAMA

HRUSHIV UKRAINE: APPARITIONS OF THE BLESSED MOTHER

CONFESSIONS OF FATHER JOE BENSON