HOWARD PIERRE: FAITHFUL SERVANT OF GOD!


Howard Pierre and I never met, we never even spoke to one another…and yet, he left an indelible imprint on my heart!

Through his daughter, my friend Monica Pierre, I could literally feel his faith, his charity and the soulful resiliency that carried him through the challenges of feeding, clothing and caring for his wife and five children on the earnings of a sharecropper. It must have been a daunting task every single day. But honestly, that’s not the message I heard nor is it the feeling Monica passed on.

Humble, unconditional love-that was Howard Pierre’s charism. He lived love, shared love and his legacy of love keeps on flowing even though his heart has physically stopped beating.

I became fascinated with Monica’s dad and the rest of her family after reading her book, “Found My Soul In A Sweet Potato Patch.” (monicapierrepresents.com) Mr. Pierre was a leader who successfully compelled his young children to wake up extra early every morning so they could pick sweet potatoes before going to school. He was a visionary as he encouraged each one of his children to receive a college diploma even though he dropped out of school after the second grade. And the list goes on!

To pay my respects to this amazing man and my friend, I drove two and a half hours to Church Point Louisiana, a rural community in Acadia Parish. Church Point is the shortened version of La Chapelle de la pointe de Plaquemine Brule, the name of a church the Jesuits established in 1848.

Just a few miles from my destination I stopped to ask for directions from a group of teenagers standing in front of a small grocery store. “Is this the way to Church Point?” I asked hopefully. “Yeah,” they replied reassuringly. “Bust a left and you’ll be there.” So that’s what I did. I busted a left (giggling to myself), continued driving down the winding country road and within a matter of minutes I arrived at the funeral parlor.

Monica didn’t know I was coming. “This morning I thought, I wouldn’t be surprised if I turn around and Mary Lou McCall is standing there,” she laughed as we hugged one another. I was glad I could give her something to smile about. And then I smiled.

When I walked over to the casket the sweet face of Howard Pierre smiled back at me! I kid you not. He was smiling! In death as in life he clearly radiated the peaceful integrity of his soulful personality! It was a beautiful vision!

We prayed a rosary before the funeral Mass and afterwards more than two hundred people joined the “repass” for a feast of home cooked jambalaya, smoked chicken, potato salad and several varieties of delicious cake…all prepared by members of the close knit community…And I love this-the men were in charge of the food service!

Together, we celebrated a life well lived and we gave thanks for the miracle of grace that carried Howard Pierre into our world-to inspire the hearts and souls of countless individuals whose lives have been eternally blessed for having known this faithful, trusting servant of God!

Comments

Unknown said…
Thank you for writing this. It is a lovely testimonial to Monica's father whom I never met either, but who is now inspiring me as well.
Unknown said…
Thank you for writing this. It is a lovely testimonial to Monica's father whom I never met either, but who is now inspiring me as well.

Popular posts from this blog

SUBLIME AUDACITY!

OUR LADY OF JOY, HANCEVILLE ALABAMA

HRUSHIV UKRAINE: APPARITIONS OF THE BLESSED MOTHER