A SURPRISE DRAWING!

As I opened the shower door, I noticed someone had drawn a bold, two dimensional cross in the condensation on the glass. I've narrowed it down to my two youngest sons, Jake and Zack...who seem to feel right at home in my shower.

I figure they were leaving me a calling card, or perhaps a gift since they know that I Love crosses. Over the years they've drawn me any number of versions from their perspective...but this is the first time they've used the shower door as their canvas.

I think it's pretty cool...especially since what we draw tells us a lot about our mindset...and what we are mindful of. Remember the scribble scratch we scrawled all over our papers as we sat through another "boring" lecture in school?

Here's a tip. If you want to know what your kids are thinking, scan their old school books and folders. At the end of every school year I clean out my kids school bags and weed through the books and papers to make sure we're not throwing away anything important. Inevitably, I come across their private and sometimes pretty personal art collection which they have so carefully concealed within the pages of their folders.

There are family cartoons, complete with written dialogue--that is both funny and frustrating. There are comical pictures of their friends with some "charming" words scribbled overhead and sometimes there are serenely soulful pictures of a supernatural dimension.

You can tell from the drawings when they're happy, when they're mad, when they're sad and obviously, when they're bored out of their minds. I used to let them know that I'd stumbled onto these priceless hidden treausres, but these days I quietly enjoy the insight that gives me a window into the private musings of my children...Who from the looks of things, have quite a healthy sense of humor...and too often a mind that travels far and wide, when it's supposed to be concentrating on the teacher.

The paper pictures are still in tact, but I've since cleaned my shower door, though I'm fully expecting another brilliant drawing, from my boldly brave Picasso's. When they were little they used to draw on the walls so this is progress. It's also very therapeutic fun for both the kids and for me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OUR LADY OF JOY, HANCEVILLE ALABAMA

HRUSHIV UKRAINE: APPARITIONS OF THE BLESSED MOTHER

CONFESSIONS OF FATHER JOE BENSON