FAMILY MASS: THE ROCK OF CHRIST!

As I listened to the priest read the gospel of John at Sunday morning Mass,
I felt it in my soul. I had made the right choice.

“I am the shepherd. A good shepherd lays down his life for his sheep. “

This beautiful scripture and the priest’s heartfelt homily affirmed my conviction that shepherding my children to morning Mass, standing together upon the rock of Christ is infinitely more important than building my rock garden.

I hadn't planned on going to morning Mass because I had already attended Saturday evening Mass so that my youngest son Zachary and I could begin laying the foundation for our rock garden. I thought the kids and I could go to Mass in the evening.

We were about to bolt out of the door when Jacob came downstairs determined to attend 11 a.m. Mass. My conscience spoke to me. "Family Mass or the rock garden?!" It was a no brainer.

“Let’s all go to Mass together,” I urged as I ran upstairs to get dressed. “The rock garden can wait.”

We arrived just in time to hear the words that confirmed my choice and what I have always believed. We are all shepherds and we must attend to our flock.

As a mother and a daily communicant, I cannot be more firm in my conviction that attending Mass as a family can be a pivotal turning point for parents and their children. Standing together amid the community of believers provides comfort and strength, bonding and blessing.

During Mass the family enters into a sacred womb and participates in an ongoing grace filled process of evangelization that heralds the inherent dignity of the human person and of families every where.

As the shepherd of my children, family Mass has been the rock that has laid a firm foundation for the future of my five sons and the families that they may one day shepherd for themselves. And in this busy and often chaotic world it is the most important activity that I can model.

And even though today Zack and I had very little time to til the soil of our rock garden, I am so grateful that my sons and I tilled our inner soil together, because I know that someday we will bear great fruit!

Thank you Holy Spirit for reminding me of that this morning!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SUBLIME AUDACITY!

OUR LADY OF JOY, HANCEVILLE ALABAMA

HRUSHIV UKRAINE: APPARITIONS OF THE BLESSED MOTHER