LIBERIA: BIRTHDAY BLESSINGS!

I received the best birthday present today-even though it’s not my birthday! As soon as I heard the young man's "Hello" at the other end of the telephone line, I instantly recognized my oldest son’s voice!

“Happy birthday Johnny!” I exclaimed! And then his brothers and I belted out our familiar rendition of “Happy Birthday to you…cha cha cha”…and many more!!!!!

It was our first conversation since he left the U.S. for Liberia six months ago, and as I listened to Johnny’s description of the world that is now his home, I marveled at his uniquely personal tale of triumph!

Twenty nine years ago I would never-and I mean never-have believed that on this day my firstborn son would willingly be spending two years of his young life as a missionary inside a Catholic orphanage in Africa! Praise God! Yes, praise God! But really-think about it. How often does that happen?! I guess every time someone answers the call from God with a resounding “YES!”

I remember when Johnny started writing me from Comunita Cenacolo in Italy and sharing, “I feel this desire in my heart to go to the missions.” I was pretty impressed back then that he could discern the proddings of the Holy Spirit-and that he was actually listening!

Now that he’s followed through-well-I keep trying to absorb the amazing details of this providential calling! And believe me-this decision of my sons is God centered, because only God could have transformed Johnny’s heartache into generous, sacrificial gratitude.

Today, on his birthday, I am also grateful-for the gift of Johnny's life, and for his inspired wisdom that is producing such powerful, life giving love! Now that is something to celebrate!
Mary Lou McCall
+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SUBLIME AUDACITY!

OUR LADY OF JOY, HANCEVILLE ALABAMA

CONFESSIONS OF FATHER JOE BENSON